Tim Winstead

Comics: 'Stoopid Stuff', ' Delusionz,' 'Now that's a First,' and  ' Whatever ' !  ( all single panel cartoons )
Website: http://www.komikstripkartoonzbytimwinstead.com
Making comics since year of: Birth..no,..seriously ..I've been drawing all of my life, whether it be considered doodles of some sort or not, I've had an affinity for drawing for as long as I can remember. Only about 10 years ago did I really try and commit to improving my skills and put my art out there.
Art education/schools attended: I took a 'at home' Master Art ' course thru a school called ICS (International Correspondence Schools ) out of PA. back in the 90's. Aside from that, everything I know or do is self-taught.

 
Tools:

 In as far as tools go..I don't play favorites. I like to experiment with different tools and see what the use of them can offer. As for what I'm using now..I'm trying my hand at using Faber-Castelle Pitt  Pens which are easy to use so far and I like the results I get from them.

Paper:even though I treat myself once in a while by getting an actual sketch pad..I use plain old printer paper. I pre-print up mass copies of my panels' 'workable size @ 7 " x 7 " . This size is indicative of each feature I work on allowing of course for  the title,and captions.

Brushes:don't use any..at least not for my cartoons. IF and when I make a mural, then I'll use whatever brushes I can find. I'm not into chasing down premier brushes or any other type of ' equipment '.

Lettering: Usually only done by hand if the 'toon calls for it or again, if a mural is in the works..then ALL lettering is done by hand.

Color: Although I can color by hand, it's more of a benefit to me to do it via p.c.

Layout / composition: no set standard here either. again, my toons are dependent on how well the gag is written. From ' A'  where the gag is penned..to ' B ' ' tweaking ' the rough...to ' C ' ' fine-lining ' the final pencil. Then, shading indicators are made. After that..  the inking begins and finally, any pencils that remain are erased .

The toon is then scanner-bound and imported to my arcaheic version of PS 6.0 where final touches such as color and text are done. In the end, a file is saved..hard copy printed..and toon is finally published on my site.

Convention Sketches : Never done any.

Tools I'd never use: crayons..lol...actually the only tool I'm not into is the ' tablet'. Sorry, it's that 'old school ' in me, but paper has to be the primary media..no ifs ands or buts.

Advice:  hmmm...not really. A person will only cull from advice given if it meets with goals or weaknesses that one is concerned about. I just always try to remember why it is that I strive to be a professional cartoonist and what it is that appeals to me about the craft. If money comes before anything else and your only goal is fame..you are bound to be bound by the whims of others who may have little concern for you as an artist and more as one who will serve their interests alone. If, on the other hand, you remain true to the craft itself..the ethics of this special community...and the joy you bring others who see your work as that of someone who truly loves what he or she does........there can really be no better fortune than that.

Sounds a bit corny, I know........but that's how I roll.